Thursday, February 7, 2008

Blanket Statement

My mom is nearly 87 years old. After raising 7 kids, she is currently a widow and has 18 (almost 19!) grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren. She loves to listen to books on tape and knit or crochet baby blankets. She keeps so busy with them and makes so many that most of them get given away to a local crisis pregnancy center, although on occasion I will ask her to make one for a friend who's having a baby. That was how I broke the BIG NEWS to her. I kept dropping hints that I needed another baby blanket, that I didn't know if it was a boy or girl, that I didn't have any idea what the colors were, that baby's mom and dad attended college at UNT and OU, respectively, when she suggested collegiate colors. It didn't even occur to her that it might be MOI who was pregnant. In her defense, I wouldn't have guessed me in a million years, either. It was pretty funny.

That being said, here are some pictures of Little Bit showing off some of Granny Bob's handiwork with detail shots of some of them. Yes, we really do call her Granny Bob; no, we're not complete rednecks; her given name is Betty Bob, so my dad suggested "Granny Bob" when grandbaby #1 was on her way.











This is one from Little Bit's private Granny Bob collection. She has about eight of them...I think. It's her current favorite and was actually one my mom was making for a friend of mine who did some sewing for her. It's in University of Texas colors, much to our chagrin. We're hoping she grows out of those colors.





Aren't these blankets beautiful? Here's the amazing part: My mom went completely blind two years ago and can't see at all what she is doing. She does it completely by feel.

9 comments:

Jenster said...

Those blankets are beautiful. What a gift your mom has! One that didn't stop with her blindness. Very cool.

I love the way you told her. I wish you could have gotten that on video!

Katybug said...

The look of shock on her face was priceless!!! I didn't even think of recording it!!! :-/

Becky said...

That's such a great way to break the news to her!

Amazing work on those blankets! Good job, GrannyBob!

I crochet (and can see what I'm doing) and still, my simple, single-stitch stuff ends up lopsided.

angela said...

I love the name Granny Bob. We have a Grandma Jack, but that's because her husband is Jack, so the kids just figured that if he is Grandpa Jack then she is Grandma Jack. Kinda cute.

And I love the blanket idea. I once told my husband that I was pregnant by wrapping the pregnancy test like a birthday gift for him!

Katybug said...

Becky--I can barely get a single crochet chain done. You go, girl! Keep on "hooking"! ;-)

Angela--I LOVE GRANDMA JACK!!! THAT IS HILARIOUS! Kids can sure provide interesting interpretations. Nice announcement! We kept the test from when Little Bit was born and still have it. We cleaned it up a bit before using it to break the news to our friends. :-)

Shauna said...

WOW! Those blankets are gorgeous and I'm in awe over the fact she does it all by feel. What an amazing woman. And to make so many that she gives away to people in need. That's so sweet.

And what a creative - and hilarious - way to break the news. :-)

The Daily Bee said...

I missed this post... =(

Your mom is incredible! Beyond incredible. Wow!

I hope your back to your old self
soon, or at least semi old self! =)

Katybug said...

Shauna, yes, she is pretty amazing. She told me the other day that she's done so many that she's getting a bit tired of it!!! Don't know what she'll do instead...she's skeptical of learning a new pattern. We'll see what she does next.

Deb, I agree...my mom is pretty incredible. As for being back to my semi-old self (I like that!), my naps this week have not been coma-like, so I'm hoping that's a good sign that I'll be getting some energy soon. Guess we'll see soon! =)

SHARLENE said...

Wow, katybug, your mom is one amazing lady--a true example of how we don't have to let adversity take away our joy--that even in spite of it, we can continue to complete the mission God has for us. Without even knowing her, I love your mom!

I will keep those beautiful blankets in mind for any future babies. I WANT my younger daughter to get pregnant again, so if/when that happens I'll be sending you a request.

Hugs and love...