Thursday, January 31, 2008

Baby News

I had my first doctor appointment this past Monday, and it went well. The OB/GYN I've been seeing for the past 15 or so years is only a GYN these days, but he agreed to do the first appointment for me. He and his assistant, by the way, laughed when I told them I was pregnant. I didn't see much humor in it...at the time.

With my history or irregular cycles and infertility, I've never really kept track of when my cycle starts and finishes each month (except when I'm going in for my annual exam and I know they're going to ask that question!). So when Dr. K asked when my last cycle was, I had no clue. Thankfully the HOFFER is good at remembering dates--even for THAT--but he could only guess the first half of the month. Well, he remembered better than I did. All that to say Dr. K estimated I'm about 6-1/2 to 7 weeks along. My due date is September 18th. And given my age, he said, that date needed to be a firm date, meaning I wouldn't be allowed to go a moment past that day. WOO HOO!!! There ARE advantages to being older!!!!

We saw the heartbeat (which put me in complete and utter awe), and Little Bug measured about 6 mm from head to butt. Dr. K did say there are additional risks to my pregnancy--higher instances of multiples, miscarriage and Downs Syndrome in women who are pregnant in their 40s. This particular issue has been the only concern I have had, and it has been a bit of a worry for me. I know this is a God-thing, and I know that whatever happens, however this baby turns out, this is such a gift from Him. It's completely out of our hands and totally in His alone. That should bring total comfort and keep me from worrying, right? WRONG. I didn't realize how much it was bothering me until the night before our doctor appointment. Right before bed I lost it. I had been assuring The HOFFER that this was real and that everything was going to be all right, but this time it was his turn to be a comfort to me. So the HOFFER and I prayed about it, and I felt a peace come over me...almost like someone (Someone!) was pouring it out of a pitcher over my head. It was amazing.

Yaaaaawwwwnnn....ooops, sorry. Guess it's time for a nap! I'm working on posting the sonogram picture and will do so as soon as I can.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Proof that my ugliness is NOT an acceptable form of birth control!

Katybug said...

HEY! I won't have you insulting someone I love!!! Remember where Little Bit got those beautiful eyes?

Becky said...

Aww, Katybug...the first thing I thought of when you said you felt that peace come over you after praying was, "He annoints my head with oil, my cup runneth over..." from Psalm 23.

God does have everything under control, and you will love and cherish that little one any which way, I just know it.

Jenster said...

So did you do that thing where you're crushed and crying and praying and all of a sudden your tears aren't tears of despair anymore, but tears of joy? Tears because you're so overwhelmed that He cares so much about you and is so personal and intimate and you can actually feel His presence and you personally know what "the peace that passes understanding" means as well as you know what a fluffernutter is?? Awesome stuff, that.

You and the Hoff and Littles Bit and Bug are in my prayers.

Hugs to you!

The Daily Bee said...

So excited for you, Katy. I will be praying for you all!

Katybug said...

Becky, OOOOOOH!!! Good verse!!! I got chills!!!

Jenster, I had been bawling my eyes out already, so this calmed me down and stopped the crying. God is an awesome God. It was, after all, He who gave us the Fluffernutter.

Deb (and everyone else!), thanks so much for your prayers. I'm not worried, but I do still have my same concerns. I'm looking forward to seeing how He works it all out.

Oh yeah, my next appointment is February 22nd.

Shauna said...

Katybug, I had this same fear with my second pregnancy, only I couldn't even voice it. I feared that if I said it aloud, God would "test" me in it. What a wrong view of Him I had.

There was a specific moment where God opened my eyes and poured that peace over me as well. It was a moment I'll never forget.

I'm so excited for you! What a blessing for you and your family!

Katybug said...

Thanks, Shauna. God is good, isn't He?

BTW, I sent you a private message on Dee's website. Did you get it?

Shauna said...

Yup. I'll send one back. Been busy ... and headachy.