Saturday, February 23, 2008

Pregnancy Progress--11 Weeks

I went to see my new OB yesterday--Dr. P--who was the doctor that delivered Little Bit when my water broke and my OB was on vacation. See how God works these things out??? I like him because he is practical and matter-of-fact. He is also a did a FABULOUS emergency C-section and is a Christian, which is just the icing on the cake.

It was a great visit. The good news is that I am further along than originally thought, so my due date has been moved up from September 18th to the 14th. Since being pregnant is not the most pleasant time for me, sooner is always gooder. The REALLY good news is that Little Bug is doing just fine and progressing along as he/she should. Heartbeat was where it should be, development is right on schedule. I go back again on March 25th, but I will be getting a nuchal translucency screening in the next 2-3 weeks to determine if Little Bug has Downs Syndrome. Downs Syndrome is one of those higher risk issues for women who are 40+ and pregnant. Basically the screening is a sonogram where they measure the thickness of the back of the baby's neck. It's very accurate and non-invasive, which makes it much safer than an amniocentesis. Dr. P also said it would be a great time for Little Bit to come "see" the baby. The sonogram is shown on a big screen TV at the foot of the bed, so we may take her with us.

Little Bit is a lot like her dad in many ways. One in particular is that both of them worry...A LOT. So much so that I never need to...they have it covered. She had a fever yesterday and couldn't go to school. Finding a sitter that quickly and during school hours is next to impossible, so The HOFFER got her dressed, gave her some Motrin, packed her up and took her to his office to play. Fridays are pretty quiet up there, and his FABULOUS assistant, whom I DEARLY LOVE, kept an eye on her while we went to the doctor. On the way to the office, my sweet girl confessed to her daddy that she was afraid for Mommy. She was afraid that, since both she and The HOFFER had fallen down the stairs and each hurt a foot, then surely I must be heading to Heaven soon since I was going to the doctor. (I don't see the connection either, but in her sweet 8-year-old mind it made complete sense.) So The HOFFER asked Dr. P to write a note to Little Bit assuring her that all was well and that I am completely safe...which, of course, he did. I talked to her later and explained that my doctor visits would be to make sure everything was all right, not because something was wrong. Both the note and our talk seemed to settle that nagging worry of hers.

So I promised a belly picture--clothes on!--and here it is:





While I promised clothes, I didn't promise make-up, so you're going to have to suffer with that. (I'll remember to close that door next time.) Just a bitty bulge, but that too will change soon enough.

Not much else to tell, so I think I'll grab Little Bit and take a nap. We both could use it!!!

9 comments:

Jenster said...

Yea! I'm glad everything is progressing along nicely! And I love the picture!

Give Little Bit a hug for me and I'm keeping you in my prayers!

Jen

Becky said...

Awww...the witto baby bump! Soooo excited for you guys!

You don't look a day over 25, you lucky girl!

I'm glad you have recognized those anxieties in Lil Bit now, and have sought to put them to rest.

Our older son Jericho (then 9) became so anxious about me needing to go to the hospital to give birth to little brother Judah, that it got to where he was cottonmouthed nervous all the time, and had to start carrying a water bottle everywhere he went or he'd panic.

He's always hated doctor's visits (he actually enjoyed the dentist!) but his worries stemmed from numerous visits to the hospital when he was little and his grandpa was gravely ill. In his little mind, he connected hospitals with his grandpa not coming home, and he was fearful that the same would happen to me.

It was quite an ordeal we went through with him, but in the end, it all boiled down to a big, giant lesson for him on learning to trust the Lord.

Anyway, that was a fantastic idea to have the doctor write her a note...I wish we'd thought of something like that!

Shauna said...

LOVE THE PICTURE! You are just soooo adorable. I got all excited and misty eyed. I'm just so happy for you!

I will be praying for you and Little Bug and the test on March 25. I'm so glad there's another option to the amniocentesis. I had irrational worry during my second pregnancy but God was good and taught me to trust. Seems that's a lesson I'm forever learning. ;-)

Keep up the belly pictures. They're awesome! And we can celebrate along with you! Will you find out the baby's gender?

SHARLENE said...

KATYBUG!!!!!! YOU'RE HAVING A BABY? Oh, but that's so exciting! I kept getting a trifle confused by all the nicknames, though, Katybug, Little Bit, Little Bug, Hoffer, ooooh, but I think I have them all straight in my head now. hahaha.

You do NOT look 40, girl. I remember 40.... but it was a while ago.

Both my daughters are pregnant. In fact, we just had a family shower today for Krista (my youngest). She's having her first baby by c-section on March 3!!! A boy. My other daughter is having her second baby latter part of June, this one will be a girl. Yea! So in a matter of months we'll have three grandbabies under our belts. (grins)

I think I'm living in the very best of times right now, Katybug -- living out my passions (writing), traveling all over the place on my publisher's tab, having grandbabies left and right, and loving my husband of 32 years. Could life get any better than this?

May God continue to grant great health and happiness to your precious "growing" family.

Keep in touch!

Love and Hugs,
Shar




Come back over to my blog because I posted a reply to you about the comment you made.

flowerpot said...

Awww, Katy, you look beautiful. You don't need a stitch of makeup and that bitty baby bump is too precious for words. Princess asked me last night (as we prayed for you and the baby) when we would know the gender. You know how we are in this day and age ... impatient for everything! :)

Katybug said...

Hi Shauna! I'm not feeling so adorable, so it's good to know that really am. ;-) Trusting the Lord is a lesson I am constantly having to learn over and over as well. Can't get it through my thick skull. Glad he's patient with me. :-)

Good to hear from you Shar! Life sounds WONDERFUL for you! If your publisher sends you down here to Austin, give me a "heads up"! I'll come see you! Congrats on your impending grandbabies! And I'm not actually 40, I'm 44. I'll be 45 shortly after Little Bug is born. :-) I must confess that I never get weary of hearing that I don't look my age. I hope God lets me keep hearing it!!!;-)

Hey Flowerpot! Tell Princess that we WILL find out the gender in April. I want to know how best to decorate, what kind of clothes to buy, and what kind of names to focus on. Girl names seem to be easier to come up with for us. We're struggling with the boy names. God, however, will provide.

Thanks everyone for stopping by!

Barb said...

Yay for baby bump pix with clothes on! I never wear make-up--I look like a dinosaur compared to most women my age, but it saves me so much time and money and it's ME. Keep feedin' that kiddo! :oD

The Daily Bee said...

I am so excited for you!! I can't tell whether I am misty eyed or it's the fever breaking, lol! Maybe both!

How awesome that God knew that you needed Dr. P! He did a little switcharoo that was planned all along in His mind. To help you and down the road assure Little Bit.

Give little Bit a hug from me too! I am a worry wart just like her.=)

Love the pic. I've said it before, but really!?! You can't be in your forties!

Sandy said...

Congrats to you, Katybug! How very exciting!!