Saturday, March 1, 2008

I Think It's A...

I have been asked if I'm going to find out the sex of my child. I can't believe this is even a question, but some people don't want to know. Some people want that "IT'S A BOY!" or "IT'S A GIRL!" moment. I've known others that have found out what but keep the name a secret so there will still be some element of surprise. Okay, that's fine. NUTS, in my opinion, but fine. I don't need surprises. I want certainty. I want to know what it is so I can concentrate on how to decorate, what kind of clothes to buy, and what kind of names to focus on. It's so easy to find girl names that we love. but good boy names, for some reason, are hard for us to find. We're still looking. For a girl we like Sarah Grace. The HOFFER loves the name Grace, probably because we have been given so very much of it; and Sarah, because Sarah in the Bible was 90 when she had her first child. And I thought I was old.

A side note, speaking of being an older mom: one of the boys in Little Bit's class told me recently that I am past child-bearing years. (His mom is an ER doctor, so I guess he should know.) Isn't that a hoot, especially coming from a 3rd grader????

I am happy with whatever God has decided to give us. It is a blessing beyond my wildest dreams. But I think this one will be a boy. Based on my family's reproductive history, this one is surely going to be a boy. Check this out:

Grandmother: girl first, boy second
Mom: girl first, boy second
Sister: girl first, boy second
Niece: girl first, boy second
Me: girl first, ? second

Are you seeing a pattern here? Here's more:

Mom: 7 kids; girl, 3 boys, girl, boy, girl
Sister: 5 kids; girl, 3 boys, girl

I'm thinking this one will be a boy. We find out for sure in April.

7 comments:

Becky said...

...and Sarah, because Sarah in the Bible was 90 when she had her first child. And I thought I was old.

You're hilarious, Katybug, lol.

That is pretty amazing, that family history.

I'm sure the Lord will give you exactly what He knew you never knew you always wanted. ;)

Jenster said...

I didn't find out what we were having with Taylor - our first. Here's a glimpse into a side of my character I'd rather you not see. My very bossy MIL told us we had to find out. So I told her no. And we didn't know until Taylor was born. She learned to keep her mouth shut with the next one and we found out Katie was a she early on.

A friend of a friend of mine is 47 and has three sons. One married, one a senior in college and the other a sophmore in college. She never had any fertility issues, but when she was in her mid to late 30's she had problems and was told she would never be able to get pregnant again. Not a problem since she already had three kids. Guess what. She's pregnant! LOL Apparently she's still in shock and the baby is due in July. When I heard about her I immediately thought of you. Totally different circumstances, yet both surprisingly blessed. :o)

You family history is pretty remarkable!

The Daily Bee said...

I love the name Grace.

I remember as a teenager planning with my friends what we were going to name our kids, flipped through the Biggest Baby Name Book and pick whatever it landed on... too bad most of the names were odd foriegn names... hahaha. I'll have a kid named Hann-Jing Yan-Ying.

Shauna said...

LOL! Katybug you're a hoot! I love the name Sarah Grace. Very sweet sounding.

Past child-bearing years??? HAHAHAHAHAHA! Apparently NOT! But coming from a third grader? Shocking! I don't want my boys learning about this stuff till they're 30. Or married. Whichever comes first. ;-)

And may I just say, I can't wait to find out what you're having! You're posting it, right? RIGHT?! Maybe even an ultrasound picture??

Katybug said...

Hi Becky! Yes, I am certain God will give me exactly what I need and what I can handle. I must say I'm a little partial to boys. Little Bit doesn't care much for baseball, so it would be fun having a little boy who does. :-) I think Little Bit will eventually come around, however.

Jenster, that is a RIOT!!! I remember one of your posts about your MIL, you said something along the lines of what you just mentioned, then said "Oh, did I just type that out loud???" You are so funny! And congrats to your friend! Let me know how things go for her!!!

Deb, "a kid named Hann-Jing Yan-Ying"...I AM SO HOLDING YOU TO THAT!!! ROFLOL!!!!

Shauna, isn't that so funny? I love this little boy. He & Little Bit have been in class together 3 out of their first 4 school years, and he is such a honey, even if he DOES think I'm old! ;-) And yes, I hope to post a sonogram pic at some point. I haven't figured out yet how to do that, techno-idiot that I am. And of COURSE I'll let everyone know what it is. What's the use of knowing if you can't tell everyone??? ;-)

Thanks for stopping by, ladies! See you in cyberworld!

Barb said...

Obviously this lovable little boy isn't kollej material yet. He looks at a pregnant woman and tells her she's past her child-bearing years? Duuuuuuh! He must not know about God's calendar!

Katybug said...

He's a pretty sharp cookie, Barb, but clearly not ready for med school just yet. :-) I just can't believe he used the term "child bearing years"!!! He is an absolute love...gives me a big hug whenever he sees me, so I can forgive the comment. ;-)