Friday, March 7, 2008

HOLY COW, I'M PREGNANT!!!

You might be wondering, at this point, exactly where I've been these past 12ish weeks. Yes, I know I'm pregnant. I was the first one to know and spread the big news. And yet, in spite of the fact that I took four pregnancy tests, have seen two sonograms, have all the symptoms, and am quickly outgrowing my normal clothes, there was still something a little surreal about me being pregnant. There was just something that didn't click for me, and for The HOFFER as well. I don't know that I can explain it any other way, or explain why we felt that way, but we did.

All that changed yesterday.

We went in for a nuchal translucency screening yesterday, which is medical-speak for some genetic testing. This particular test is a sonogram that checks for the possibility of Downs Syndrome. There is a tiny little sac of fluid right behind the baby's neck. It should measure no more than 1-2 mm; 3 or higher doesn't guarantee the baby has DS, but it is cause for concern. Conversely, a normal measurement isn't a guarantee either, but is a good sign.

We got a good sign.

As a matter of fact, we got more than just a good measurement (1mm), we saw our baby again, but this time, however, we got action!

When I was pregnant with Little Bit, we went for a sonogram at about 5 months to find out gender and whatever else they check for at that time. She was so funny...lying back, hands behind her head, ankles crossed, just chillin'. I am not kidding. She still hangs out that way. Baby Bit, on the other hand, well, let's just say I expect to get pretty skinny chasing after this little one. He (and that's a generic he...he's not developed enough at this stage to find out gender) was wiggling, squirming, playing, kicking his feet up over his head...and that's what did it. He became very real and very alive to us at that point. That is when we realized that we are really going to have a baby. That so ROCKS!!!

The HOFFER said that he would imagine his mother is probably laughing her tail off up in heaven right now, knowing that he's probably going to get exactly what he dished out to her. My worry is that I don't think I did anything to deserve THAT!!!! We'll just have to wait and see how this Baby Bit turns out.

Maybe I'll get a baseball player after all.

6 comments:

The Daily Bee said...

I don't think I did anything to deserve THAT!!!!

Hahahaha. Aw, you've got a squirmer on your hands. I can't wait to see pictures of him/her.

Shauna said...

Isn't that the most incredible feeling when it finally sinks in? Sounds like this little guy/girl will be practicing for soccer or dance during the coming months. Oiy! I remember that. My first guy was so active in utero, my family used to sit around and watch MY STOMACH for entertainment. It was like watching a shape shifter. But hey, there'll be an older sister willing to pitch in, too. I can't wait to see your pics of Baby Bit.

Becky said...

Awwww...that is PRECIOUS!

I can almost hear the laughter...because yes, it does seem to come around. I know this because my husband was quite a handful as a child, and our youngest...well, he's something else!

So excited for you all!

Jenster said...

If I could jump up and down without hurting myself or breaking my laptop, I would from the excitement and joy from this post!!

WOOHOO!!

And you deserve your MIL's payback by default. Sorry.

Katybug said...

Hi Deb, I have some really cool sonogram pics--feet in the air and all!--but I don't know how well they will transfer. I'll give it a shot.

Shauna, I was so intent on what the sonogram tech was telling me to be crying like I normally would when it clicked, so The HOFFER filled in quite nicely for me. ;-)

Becky, thank you for confirming what I already knew!!! I'm also pretty sure you wouldn't have it any other way. :-)

And thanks for THOSE words of encouragement, Jenster. :-/ Guess I did walk right into that one. ;-) I would've jumped up and down too, but it would not have been a pretty sight.

Jenster said...

Hey. I'm all about encouragement!! :o)