Saturday, November 3, 2007

Halloween Happenings

Some people really like Halloween. They celebrate the entire month of October and go all out with decorations, costumes, and goodies. I am not one of those people. We did the trick-or-treat thing till I was in 6th grade when Halloween suddenly became evil and all I got to do instead was go to church and listen to a sermon. Hmmm...dress up in costume with my friends and get lots of candy, or sit quietly in a church listening to a sermon...wow, I am so conflicted (she said, dripping with sarcasm). Needless to say I wasn't too happy about it. But there weren't a lot of other options for kids back in "those days", so I was pretty excited when I became a parent and my daughter had other options. These days, I don't have a problem with anyone else doing the Halloween thing, but I don't like all the scary stuff. Fortunately for us, there's plenty to do.

I don't know about the Sonic Drive-Ins where you live, but the ones here in Austin serve all-you-can-eat corn dogs and ice cream for 50 cents each. You can still get other menu items, but for me it's all about the the 50-cent foods. I had 3 corn dogs. YUM. Afterwards we still head over to church, but this time it's for the Fall Festival, where the kids can play games, win prizes, join in a cake walk, ride a barrel train...you name it. It's a huge deal and seems to get bigger each year. So I am now going to attempt posting some pictures from our October 31st.

This is how I would love for my daughter to be seen all the time. Precious, beautiful, she truly is my princess and the sweetest girl on earth. She's dressed as Princess Aurora, or Sleeping Beauty.




Ah, but looks can be deceiving! These are how she really is. Isn't she goofy???? She cracks me up. With every pretty picture I get, I also get about five silly ones. Allow me to introduce you to Opera Girl, Princess Terror and Princess Thinks-She's-In-Charge-Alot.





And these are her "glass slippers" (and yes, I know I'm mixing fairy tales.). If you only knew how FILTHY these things are. It's best that you don't, but I do. Ewww.




These are some action photos of the festival. First, backwards beanbag toss. She got in two out of three! Impressive!





Then the original version of Frogger. The "frog" is supposed to land on a small platform. It did not.




Here she is trying to hit ping pong balls into little buckets. Her aim is not good.




This is her favorite...the Fishers of Men station. The blue thing I CLEARLY neglected getting into the picture is a screen with fish painted all over it. Behind the screen are volunteers putting candy onto the "hooks" (they're really binder clips).





And finally, the Princess and the Queen. The headband I'm wearing is a bunch of candles spelling out "Happy Birthday". Yes, I was a birthday cake. I'm SO all about the food.





Princess Aurora declared this year to be "The Best Halloween EVER!!!" I know I had a good time.

10 comments:

Becky said...

You and your daughter are both adorable gals...very photogenic, especially wiht those gorgeous eyes! That festival sounds like tons of fun...and I'm so jealous we don't have a Sonic close enough to enjoy that kind of a deal, lol.

Katybug said...

Wow, I am truly the luckiest guy on planet earth, and in fact, the luckiest guy on 6 of the 32 known orbs known as planets. (The other orbs are controlled by the Mormons and you get free ice cream and virgins)

Katy and Audrey, I am sorry I missed the shindig at the church. Sonic was a blast of course but this stupid cold has been getting the best of me.

Audrey is truly a princess and a goof champion. What a hoot!

I used to love Halloween also. Lets do it up next year for the first time ever in our marriage!!!

Katybug said...

FYI, that last comment was by Cash, Katy's husband. Uh, this is, Katy, yes this is Katy and I wanted to say that Cash is REALLY cool and has a very striking face. I wonder how many times he has been struck there?

Alrighty then.

Jenster said...

I'm not sure who is prettier. You or your daughter!! Actually, I think you share equal prettiness!!

I never eschewed Halloween (but I eschewed all the candy, and schewed and schewed and schewed - especially the caramels that are sticky and difficult to schew - until I thought I would blow) but my kids were never allowed to dress in something scary or evil. Hypocritical? I dunno. That's just how I roll.

Katybug said...

"I never eschewed Halloween (but I eschewed all the candy, and schewed and schewed and schewed - especially the caramels that are sticky and difficult to schew - until I thought I would blow)"

Jenster, you are a riot! It's why I like having you around!!!

Katybug said...

Oh yeah, and thanks for the "I'm not sure who is prettier." comments. I'm pretty sure it's my daughter who's prettier. I don't think I've taken a good picture since my wedding day, but thank you anyway! I guess I don't need to be quite so afraid of the camera after all! :-)

Sandy said...

Your daughter is adorable and oh my! does she look like you!

Katybug said...

I hear that A LOT, Sandy! I don't totally see it, but I'm so glad it's there. I think she's lovely. :-)

Anonymous said...

As people say about Heidi and our Naomi, "she's your mini-me."

Cash, you just gotta get out more.

Bob

The Daily Bee said...

She looks just like you! Beautiful!

I don't usually celebrate Halloween. I am just too lazy to get anything together, this year I was forced. lol! I had to dress up for the kids at church. I was a pirate, birthday cake sounds better.