Monday, October 8, 2007

A Frustrated Reader No More!--The Sequel

When I saw Deb's post last Friday over at The Daily B about it being all my fault, I was very flattered. (Thanks for mentioning me, Deb, and how are you enjoying The Guy I'm Not Dating?) She said I got her thinking about--or rather, rethinking--her favorite books and authors. I couldn't tell her mine, however, because it would mess up my post for today.

I had originally made this one post, but it got too long (translation: I talk too much), so I split it up so as not to overwhelm. So here is my list of my favorite authors, in no particular order (click on each name to go to their website):

  1. Francine Rivers: "This announcement was brought to you by the U.S. Department of Redundancy Department." This one IS just a given, isn’t it? This is no slight to anyone else, but she is THE standard bearer in Christian fiction. There’s Francine Rivers, then everyone else. She is flat out amazing. She can also be very intense, some of her books more so than others. In addition to Redeeming Love (which is in development to be made into a movie, in case you hadn't heard), I have also read The Scarlet Thread, And The Shofar Blew (cried the entire last third of the book), and her Mark of the Lion series. If you haven’t read this series, talk to me first. There are a few things you should know before you start reading it. Many thanks to my friend Jenster over at Jenster's Musings who helped me get through it! Having said all that, Francine Rivers is one author I have NEVER regretted reading.
  2. Deeanne Gist: You know, even if Dee weren’t such a good author, she is such a blast to hang out with in cyberspace! I LOVE Dee, AND her books are wonderful! She has three so far, all historical romances, and I have loved all three: A Bride Most Begrudging, The Measure of a Lady, and Courting Trouble. All of her books are fun and will make you laugh. (Her hero in Lady made me think of Tom Selleck.) Her characters have depth and are very realistic and relatable. If you have never been to Dee’s website, you are missing out. Her blog is very active, as is her new discussion board…you can tell she loves getting to know her readers. It was the highlight of my month when I won an autographed copy of her latest book! WOO HOO!!!!
  3. Robin Lee Hatcher: Robin’s books are just lovely. Her stories have a very deep emotional feel to them, and God’s grace is a common theme in all of them. The stories start softly or at a low point and crescendo like a magnificent piece of music. I always end up heaving a HEAVY SIGH when I read her books. She’s an established author and has written many books, of which I have read Catching Katie (my favorite), Speak to Me of Love (a very close 2nd place!), Loving Libby, Trouble in Paradise and Return to Me. In Return to Me she did a brilliant job retelling the story of the prodigal son (daughter, in this case) in a modern-day setting. All her books have been wonderful. She also has a great blog that is very thought-provoking and well worth visiting.
  4. Trish Perry: Trish is another new author—just two books—that has an incredible sense of humor! There were parts in her first book—The Guy I’m Not Dating—that made me laugh so hard I called my mother and read them to her so we could laugh together! Her second book, Too Good To Be True, is a bit more serious but a fun read nonetheless. I feel like an absolute moron that I didn’t pick up on the pun in the title. No, I am not telling…go read it for yourself! You won’t be sorry! You'll get more out of #2 if you read #1 first, but they could easily be stand-alone stories. I love her covers too! Very fun, just like her stories.
  5. Tamera Alexander: OH, MY. Tamera has written three of the most glorious historical romances you will find anywhere! She is another new author and wrote a series of books called the Fountain Creek Chronicles: Rekindled, Revealed and Remembered. The stories are wonderful, all set in the Colorado Territory in the 1860s. Her characters are deep, and you really get to know them intimately. When characters from book one show up in the other books, it’s like having old friends pop in for a visit. Be sure to have all three books handy so that when you finish one you can start the next. You won’t want to wait! Check out her website and read about how she got started writing…it’s a great story!
  6. Sharlene MacLaren: Shar is another author that I have chatted with many times via cyberspace, and I would love her even if I didn’t like her books. But like them I do, which just makes her that much more fun! Her book Through Every Storm is a tough read about a difficult subject…in fact, I hesitated reading it. But I am so glad I did! The story is very realistic and true-to-life, and Shar handled it very well without making things depressing. You should also know that it was also nominated for an ACFW Book of the Year award this year. I’ve also read Loving Liza Jane and Sarah, My Beloved from her Little Hickman Creek series. Both were great reads, and I’m anxiously awaiting the final book in the series, which is due out in March 2008 (mark your calendars!). Shar tells a great story and can always be counted on for a happily ever after ending!
So there you have it! I have other authors that I like, but these are my current favorites. Who are your favorite authors? Another time I'll talk about favorite books!

10 comments:

Becky said...

You are an excellent book reviewer, Katybug! I haven't yet read a couple of those authors...but I'm sure going to now!

Katybug said...

Thanks for the kudos, Becky. :-) I'm always up for making--or taking!--a good recommendation! The "Books on your nightstand" thread has been a lot of fun and gave me some good recommendations too. Thanks for stopping by!

SHARLENE said...

Hello, everyone! Thanks for your kind remarks about my books, Katybug. I posted on a post that none of you will probably check because it's a few days old, so here I go again. Having a mountain of problems with my eBlogger site in that that crazy security box pops up all the time, telling me to check yes or no regarding whether I want to risk going into an insecure site. If I check yes, the box pops back up, if I check no, the box pops back up. Sometimes I can get in (like now), and sometimes not. Crazy!

At any rate, so good to see all of you here on Katybug's lovely blog. I recognize some of you from Dee's blog, so I feel as though I'm among friends!

Happy reading to all!

By the way, please feel free to stop by my website or blog and leave a comment. Y'all come!

www.sharlenemaclaren.com
www.sharlenemaclaren.blogspot.com

Love and big hugs,
Shar

The Daily Bee said...

You've done it again! LOL!
I wish I had listed by author and gone over each one... Maybe I will do another post on this.

I am having the hardest time getting into The Guy I'm Not Dating by Trish Perry. I read the first couple of chapters and laughed so hard. It's not the book, it's me. I can't find the time to read... or maybe I'm just lazy about figuring out a new author. Anyway, I have the book in my purse and I will be reading it tonight and I will come back and tell you what I think. =)

angela said...

Robin Lee Hatcher lives here in Boise with me. I'm always getting autographed copies to give as gifts. She has an amazing testimony, too.

Tamera Alexander said...

Wow! My thanks, Katybug, for your comments on my books! Made my day and is such a nice encouragement as I head to write this morning. The other authors you mentioned are favs of mine! Wonderful!

Just want to let your readers know that if they haven't yet read my books, they can head over to www.tameraalexander.com and enter the giveaway to win one of three boxed sets of Fountain Creek Chronicles that we're giving away in November.

Thanks again for the kind words,
Tamera

Katybug said...

WOW!!! WHAT A TREAT!!! Two of my favorite authors dropping by! So glad you both peeked in.

For those of you who haven't read Tamera's Fountain Creek Chronicles, you really should go enter the giveaway. They are wonderful books. And be sure to check out Shar's Little Hickman Creek series as well, with the final book coming out in March. :-)

Jenster said...

I have Shar on my list of authors I want to read. I think I'll bump her up to the top.

As for Tamara - I'm half way through Revealed thanks to you, Katybug. And she has become another autobuy for me.

And I love Francine Rivers and Deeanne Gist. I would add Liz Curtis Higgs to the list. She's among my very favorites, too.

Katybug said...

Angela, I knew you lived in the same city as Robin, but I didn't know you knew her!!! You should be more of a name dropper. ;-) She seems like a lovely sort, and I like her blog very much. She's a thinker.

Jenster, you will so enjoy Shar's books. And I have added several of Liz's books to my wishlist at your recommendation.

SHARLENE said...

WOW! I AM ENJOYING READING THIS BLOG, MORE OR LESS AS A LURKER, BUT ENJOYING IT NONETHELESS!

MORE LOVE AND HUGS FOR ALL YOU READERS OUT IN BLOG LAND.

AND NOW...BACK TO MY WORK IN PROGRESS EVEN THOUGH I'D REALLY RATHER CHAT.

SHAR