Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Let Your Voice Be Heard!

Okay, I've finally done it. I've taken the plunge into the Blogosphere--with much encouragement from others--and put together a meager blog. Well, meager for now, anyway.

My first post isn't about me or my thoughts, but isn't that a good incentive to participate? My husband is a Hall of Fame BMXer (you'll hear more about him in future posts) and loves to do what he can to promote the sport. If you're not sure what BMX is, BMX stands for "bicycle motocross". Have you ever seen those motorcycle races where the racers are flying over mounds of dirt like salmon swimming upstream? That's what BMX is, but on a bicycle instead of a motorcycle. And no, my husband doesn't jump like that...anymore...but I digress. Sports Illustrated for Kids is having a vote for who to put on an upcoming cover of the magazine, and our BMX community is trying to vote a BMXer in. Here's the link to the poll:

http://www.sikids.com/2007/sifk/09/24/youthaoy.voting/index.html

Brock Heffron is the BMXer we'd like to see on the cover of SI for Kids. The voting is really close, so Brock could use all the nods he can get.



The other place you can check out BMX stuff is at the American Bicycle Association website. The ABA is one of the sanctioning organizations for BMX, and they are the ones that put together the BMX Hall of Fame. My husband was inducted into the Hall of Fame last fall (again, more on this later), which, I must admit, is really cool in and of itself. But again, I digress.

This is the email he sent out recently about this year's Hall of Fame voting:

Last year, it was one of the greatest moments in my life to be inducted into the ABA BMX Hall of Fame. This year, the voting has begun on the ABA website. If you aren't familiar with the nominees, I would like to share my thoughts for your consideration. Last year, your vote meant everything, and this year it will too!

  • Dennis Dain (Pioneer Category) Was one of the most consistent, considerate, and helpful riders in the sport. He won everywhere he went, was on Factory Redline (our co-sponsor) and is truly deserving.
  • Greg Grubbs(Racer Category) A skinny kid who took on the top name pros and won. Greg is from Nebraska and was part of the Midwest crowd (like me!) who dared challenge the big dogs and win! Greg was one of the first non-California riders to really dominate the sport with big wins at big races.
  • Elaine Holt (Industry) Elaine Started BMX News, which spawned BMX Action. She helped move the bmx movement forward, and without her the sport would have suffered. Her work is the most worthy of all the Hall of Fame nominees in any category.
I hope you will take the time to vote at www.ababmx.com


So there you have it! You think your vote doesn't count? Well, in these two places, it does!!! Hall of Fame voting is open to anyone, one vote per person. So jump on in to the fray and let your voice be heard!

9 comments:

The Daily Bee said...

Yah Katybug! Glad you joined us in blogosphere!

My brother used to be a huge BMX fan. We spent alot of time at the BMX bike store growing up.

Katybug said...

Hey Deb!!! Thanks for the warm reception!!! :-)

Most of my husband's idols were from California, where it all began. More than once a lot of these guys spent the night at his house when they came for races in Oklahoma.

Jenster said...

Yea, Katybug!!! Wonders never cease!!!

BMX was huge in CA when I lived there. That and skateboarding.

Daisy said...

Hi! Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! :o)

Sunshine's spelling lesson this week had a story about a little boy named Tony who was getting into BMX.

Katybug said...

Jenster, I have raised procrastination to an art form. :-) Thanks for stopping by!!! CA was definately THE PLACE for BMX back in "the day". My husband and his best friend were the ones who brought it east.

Hey Daisy! BMX isn't as big as it once was, but it hasn't gone away. I hope Tony shows Sunshine something fun about it. :-)

Becky said...

Hey, Katybug...dropping by from Dee's house of gab. Glad you've joined us in the blogosphere!

Does your husband know of a Cody Wilson out of Southern California? He's some friends of our's son...and big into BMX...his room is full of trophies and bikes, etc. Anyway, that's our connection to BMX. ;0)

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogging world. Glad to have you!

I was going to go on and vote, but didn't see where.

I think my 16 year old would have loved BMX but it wasn't part of the plan I guess. He wants to be a stunt car driver. I told him he has to at least have his license first!!! I honestly think he'd be great at it, just a bit scary for his Mum!!! :)

Katybug said...

Hey Becky! Thanks for stopping by!!! No, we don't know Cody, but if he's a local racer there in CA, that's not surprising. Even tho' BMX is a small community, there's still a lot of people involved.

Hi Pam! I have since found out that the Hall of Fame voting is done, but thanks for trying. My husband wanted to race motorcycles as a kid, but his parents WISELY said no, so that's how he ended up in BMX. I don't know that I could survive my kid--or my husband!--being a stunt car driver!

SHARLENE said...

Hi all! This is a test. I'm having tons of problems with eBlogger, so if this comes through it will be a miracle! Anyway, greetings, one and all.

Katybug, thanks for your kind and wonderful remarks about my books.

I recognize many of you from Dee's site, although I haven't been able to spend as much time there as I'd like. Come on by my website or blog anytime.

www.sharlenemaclaren.com
www.sharlenemaclaren.blogspot.com

Love and Hugs, one and all!
Shar